I am a mixed-mode commuter and I’m so glad because it helps me live an easy and healthy life. Honestly I couldn’t do that with an ordinary bicycle as it is so bulky. Everything has changed since I started trying a folding bike. Now it has become an essential part of my daily life.
Folding bikes have become so light and compact that we can call them portable bike. It takes me less than 15 seconds to fold a bike. Now I am riding a folding bike to the bus stop or subway, fold it and carry it to the public transportation. Then when I reach the last stop, I unfold the bike and continue riding to my workplace. Amazing, huh?
With many good brands available, finding the best lightweight folding bikes certainly will be little difficult. However, if you should make the time to study features and also product specifications of folding bikes, you should have sufficient insight on which one will perfectly fit your requirements. Where prices are involved, you can easily get a good deal with online shopping as it provides you the ability of checking the price faster and easier. All you must do is searching to get the best deals, take a look at our reviews to see what makes one model better than others.
If you can’t wait to ride your first folder, keep reading. We at FoldingBike20 are gonna show you how to choose the most suitable folding bicycle as your daily driver.
A Complete List of Top Folding Bikes
Vans Vans 5279 Authentic Navy B07CNN7LK5/True White 9abf553
I am recommending you the best folding bikes in the U.S.. The table below will list bikes with some important features that you have to consider when buying a bike like Size, Weight, Speeds, Frame and Price.
ImageProductFolding Size (inches)Weight (lbs)SpeedsFramePrice (MSRP in USD)
Schwinn Loop 7-Speed Folding Bike
16" x 32.5" x 26"337Low, stand-over alloy frame$289
Lakai Fremont Skate Shoe Black Suede
Retrospec Speck SS
Vans Women s Sk8-Hi(TM) Core Classics Black/Black , Globe Men s Sprout Skate Shoe Dark Caramel/White
Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Core Ox Black Monochrome , Vans Unisex Old Skool Classic Skate Shoes (Classic Tumble) True White , Tricandide 7 Colors LED Luminous Unisex Sneakers USB Charging Light Colorful Glowing Leisure Shoes Black , Vans Unisex Old Skool Classic Skate Shoes White/Gum , NIKE Men s SB Zoom Blazer Low Skate Shoe Elemental Pink/Black , Converse Unisex Breakpoint Slub Knit Low Top Sneaker Olive , Diadora Titan N 2 Skateboarding Shoe Frost Gray Bright Rose , DC Women s Meridian Skate Shoe White , Etnies Men s Jefferson Mid Skate Shoe Navy/Grey , Vans Authentic Duke/Black/Gold Foil WGWJM Men s Casual Skate Shoes Round Toe Lace up Classic Canvas Shoes Black
Vans Mens Old Skool Fabric Low Top Lace up Skateboarding Shoes (Tropical) Multi/True White , Emerica Men s Reynolds G6 Skate Shoe Black/Grey
Fallen Roach Skate Shoe Afgan Brown/Black , Vans Unisex Authentic (Canvas) Imperial Blue/Pa Skate Shoe Blue DC Men s Anvil TX Skate Shoe Black/Black/Gum
Vision Street Wear Women s Suede Hi Sneaker Grey/Purple , Etnies Scam Skate Shoe White/Navy/Gum
Globe Men s Fury Skate Shoe Charcoal/White , Supra Vaider LC Sneaker Midnight/White , Globe Fusion Skate Shoe White/Blue , Etnies Womens Scout XT Sneaker White , DC Women s Rebound High TX SE Skate w Skateboarding Shoe Navy/Gum Lakai Sheffield Skate Shoe Black/Grey Suede
Etnies Mens Men s Dory SC Skate Shoe Black , Vans Era 59 Brown
10" x 30" x 22"23.51Ultra-light aluminum$319
12.1" x 30.4" x 25.4"30.51H Series, SuperLite 4130 chromoly$319
Dahon Vybe C7A
11.8" × 31.5" × 26"25.267AA Series - Dalloy alluminum$399
Dahon Speed Uno
11.7" x 30" x 25"24.21SuperLite 4130 chromoly frame$399
Hasa F2 6-Speed
13" x 33" x 25"27.56Alloy 6061 Aluminum Light$420
Allen Sports Downtown
15.4" x 33.5" x 28"2616061 Aluminum Frame$449
Dahon Speed D7
11.8" x 30.3" x 25.2"27.67SuperLite 4130 chromoly frame$549
Dahon Mariner D7
11" x 31.9" x 25.7"2677005 butted aluminum alloy$599
Dahon Mu Uno
10.2" × 30.7" × 25.9"221PA series - Dalloy Aluminum$699
Dahon Speed P8
12.60" x 32.28" x 26.38"278SuperLite 4130 chromoly frame$699
Eastland Women s Poppy Sandal Tan , Water Sports Shoes Barefoot Quick-Dry Aqua Beach Swim Exercise Yoga Socks Slip-On for Men and Women Blue , The Wave Ladies Aqua Shoe Royal , L-RUN Unisex Wading Shoes Sports Quick-Dry Aqua Socks Slip-On Strip Navy
Giotto Kids Swim Water Shoes Quick Dry Non-Slip for Boys & Girls F-blue , Hi-Tec Men s Altitude Lite I Waterproof Hiking Boot Gull Grey/Black/Goblin Blue , Dance Class Women s GB301 Spandex Gore Jazz Shoe CORRAL Women s Turquoise Orange Floral Embroidered Boot Snip Toe - C3304 Turquoise
Brinley Co Women s Hilton Slouch Boot Stone , Toms Suede Jacquard Women s Nepal Boots Black
BEARPAW Women s Emma Tall Mid Calf Boot Olive , JBU by Jambu Women s Edith Snow Boot Dark Grey
Roper Women s Paisley Swirl Work Boot Black , HIPPOSEUS Girls/Women s Latin Dance Shoes Ballroom Dancing Shoes,Soft Bottom Teachers Dance Shoes/Belly Dancing Shoes/Ballet Shoes,Model 101
FRYE Women s Veronica 2 Slouch Boot Black , totes Womens Ruby Winter All Weather Boots Black
Crocs Unisex Classic Clog Smoke , Vince Camuto Women s Armaceli Over The Knee Boot Foxy Skechers Men s M. Fit Air Oxford Brown/Black
PUMA Womens Eskiva Mid Remaster Birch/winetasting , Naturalizer Women s Marianne Silver
Diadora Unisex Intrepid NYL White/Estate Blue/Skydiver , Louis Garneau Course Air Lite 2 Bike Shoes Bright Yellow
New Balance Men s 996v3 Clay Court Tennis Shoe Flame , Skechers Sport Women s Flex Appeal 2.0 Bold Move Fashion Sneaker Plum , Vans Herren Authentic Core Classic Sneakers Black/Black
Cole Haan Women s Pinch Grand Penny Loafer Black Combo , Cole Haan Women s Grandpro Tennis Leather Lace Ox Fashion Sneaker Ruggine Glitter , Vision Street Wear Women s Canvas Lo Sneaker Blue / Camo , Emerica Men s Wino G6 Skate Shoe Black/White ,
Dahon Mu P8
11.7" x 30.8" x 25.7"27.187005 butted aluminum alloy$829
45.2" x 20" x 9"26.417000 series aluminum$999
Dahon IOS S9
15.5" x 34" x 30"28.69Hydroformed Dalloy Aluminum$1,198
22.2" x 21.5" x 9.8"22.41Steel$1,255
Prodeco V3 Storm 500
28" x 36" x 48"558Folding Aluminum 26" Rim$1,399
Dahon Jetstream P8
11.3" x 32.4" x 25.7"28.887005 aluminum frame$1,499
Allen Sports XWay
13.8" x 33.5" x 27.6"24.6206061 Aluminum$1,699
Following are criteria we use in the list:
- Size: This is the size of the whole bike after being folded, not just the wheel size (majority of folding bikes are manufactured with 20-inch wheels and I recommend the size too).
- Weight: Everybody wants a lightweight folding bike so that we can carry around easily.
- Number of Speeds: Multiple gears/speeds will help us ride faster on flat road and go uphill easier without hurting your knees.
- Frame: The frame material will decide the weight as well as its durability of your bike. Don’t use cheap material because a stiff frame will save you more money in long term. I’ve been using my bike for 4 years without any issue.
- Price: This is the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP), you should click on each product for the best price available. The pricing varies from $200 to $2000 but you always can get a good bike for a reasonable price.
Folding Bike Benefits
Overall, there are some important benefits that you have to consider buying a folding bike.
- Exercise Anytime: More and more people are overweight because we just sit all day in the office, drive home and spend the rest of the day on comfortable couches. Folding bike is an effective way to lose weight, get in shape and make you healthier. You will feel the difference in just a few weeks.
- Save Money: You can save a lot of money as there is no more parking fees, expensive fuel, insurance or auto maintenance services. If you are a mixed-commuter, you can board the bicycle to any bus, subway or train. I save more than $200 per month by using public transportation along with my bike.
- More Mobility: In big cities, it is almost impossible to drive your car to work because you will not be able find a parking slot. With a folding bike, you can just bring it to your office and leave it under your desk, it is just the size of a suitcase. You won’t be worried that your bike could be stolen anymore. I heard many stories that people lost their bicycle when they locked it into a tree, fence or lamp post.
- Stable and Fashionable: Recent folding bikes are designed so fashionable and believe me, you will look great riding a bike. Many people thought that the folding bike couldn’t be as stable as a normal bike. The fact is that their frames are built very stiffly and they are not easy to be collapsed into pieces.
Vans Vans 5279 Authentic Navy B07CNN7LK5/True White 9abf553 - ltc-sahjeriani.website
The comparison chart above shows many top folding bikes on the market. We have reviewed most of them and they are really excellent options. You can read our review for more details and ratings on some important criteria. Those reviews will absolutely help you make the appropriate buying decision.
If it is still too difficult to find out the perfect folding bike, you can check out our top picks:
1. Dahon Mariner D7
The Mariner D7 is currently my daily driver. It has everything I expect in a folding bike. It is equipped with a rear rack, mudguards, and 7 speeds.
The bike has a sleek design in a polished silver color. The most important reason I chose this bike is because this is the most comfortable folding bike at the price of under $1000. It is not the lightest one but it has a sturdy build and it can accelerate quickly.
The Mariner D7 is on sale for $579 on Amazon.
2. Allen Sports XWay
The Allen Sports XWay is a recent bike I’ve tried and I loved it at first sight. It has a very attractive design and this is absolutely a great choice for mixed-mode commuting.
The bike comes with a lightweight frame, 451mm wheels and 20 speeds which helps a lot in dealing with different terrains. This is considered an entry-level folding bike to the high-end market.
The XWay is currently priced at over $1,000 on Amazon.
3. Dahon Mu Uno
This is among my favorite folding bikes because it is super lightweight (only 24 lbs) and easily folded to carry anywhere. The single-geared bike is great for fast riding and you will also be confident to ride the Mu Uno daily for years.
As it is made of high-quality components, the bike is very sturdy and durable. The bike frame, rigid forks and handle posts are also warranted to be defect-free in 5 years. It is so difficult to find out any drawback of the Dahon bike.
The bike is priced at around $560 on Amazon, a very acceptable price for a great folding bike.
Don’t agree with our pick? You can consult the list of the best-selling folding bikes in the U.S..
Share the post "The Best Folding Bikes – Reviews and Ultimate Buying Guide"
Vans Vans 5279 Authentic Navy B07CNN7LK5/True White 9abf553